Thursday, September 4, 2008

The toughest workout that I do

A series of short, sharp shocks.

It’s been a while since I have blogged, so I figured it was time to put something together, just so you don’t think that I had faded off into oblivion.

At this point in the season, I am working toward my last target event, the State Championship Road Race. With that in mind, I opted to subject myself to the toughest training ride that I ever do – repeat 30-second hill sprints.

I first discovered this workout when I was working with Coach Ashley Powell at Catup.com. He prescribed this workout for me several years ago and I have used it ever since, but I use it sparingly because it’s a real killer. The idea is this: find a slight grade of about 4 to 5%, nothing too steep, but certainly uphill and with sufficient length to allow for 30 seconds of all-out effort. To start the interval, sprint uphill, out of the saddle for the first 15 to 20 seconds, then sit down and hammer out the final 10 to 15 seconds. Rest between efforts is from 4 to 6 minutes. This is a high intensity workout and I only use it once I have established a strong base of longer intervals.

Here’s a synopsis of how the workout generally goes:
1st interval: hurts a little, not too bad.
2nd interval: usually doesn’t hurt as bad as the first one
3rd interval: now we’re getting a workout.
4th interval: ouch! How many more of these do I have to do?
5th interval: dear God, I think I lost bladder control
6th interval (if I make it this far): nausea, tunnel vision, stomach upheaval, blunt head trauma

Typically by the time I get to the 4th interval, the last 10 seconds of the interval are a wrestling match with the handlebars and pedals. It is, without a doubt, the most painful workout that I do. But it's a quick death, not a prolonged agony.

Give it a try and see if you agree. Or, better yet, send me details of your toughest workout.

No comments: